Commenting on the news that 230 employees were sent home from GKN in Yeovil this morning and the future of a major local employer thrown into doubt, Lib Dem prospective parliamentary candidate, Daisy Benson, said:
‘This is deeply worrying and my thoughts are with the workers and families affected.
‘If Theresa May is serious about what she says about protecting British jobs then her government must act now to save vital jobs and businesses in Yeovil.
‘I’ve raised the matter urgently with local and national decision-makers and I am seeking the following action in support:
- An urgent question to be tabled by Liberal Democrats in the House of Commons
- Asked Lord Ashdown to raise the matter urgently with the Minister of State
- Asked the District Council to urgently investigate what support can be given to workers affected, following support given to Westland in previous years
- Requested an urgent meeting with management and unions at GKN
- Call upon the public to sign our petition supporting the helicopter manufacturing industry in Yeovil and South Somerset